Wednesday, September 27, 2006

The roof the roof

Just a quickie from me because I wont be around for a while.
Last night after several hours working on my photojournalism photos, my computer caught fire! I had just finished for the night and went to show Graham my photos before bed and they had all vanished. So I rebooted and while booting we could smell smoke so we turned it off, waited for the air to clear, opened it up and a bundle of cables had fused to the side of the case. The cables were tightly twisted back on themselves and tied with a cable tie. Our theory is that when the technician twisted them the plastic coating was cracked and the bare wires had been shorting. This would explain why I kept having intermittent problems with the drives and eventually it got to the point where the wires caught fire. Unfortunately I have no idea if my drives have survived this. We do know that the previous drive suffered bad sectors and now we know why. Don't know if the cpu etc survived either, obviously we're not about the turn the computer on to check. The PC is only 6 months old so it's going back to the shop today. I want a new one or an extensive rebuild and I particularly do not want any cables twisted and tied like the last lot!
This means I wont have any photos ready for next weeks photoclub comp which is a shame because I was really pleased with some I took on the weekend. Who knows if I have any photos left on my harddrives now, I may have lost all the photos of Alex too. I have a lot backed up but the ones from the weekend weren't yet because I thought I was safe with a raid system. I never expected all my drives could be damaged at once.
So I wont have any computer for a while and email and internet access will be limited to Grahams PC and I certainly wont be able to process any photos.
Oh and typically I didn't think to take a photo of my computer on fire or even the melted mess inside. Pride comes before a fall, I was proud of some of my photojournalism shots and now this just reminds me I an not a photojournalist.
The question is though.... does this mean my photos are 'hot stuff', 'seriously uncool' or 'smokin' ?

No comments: