Monday, September 25, 2006

Up and running again.

Wooohooo my computer is stable again! (touch wood).
Last night we installed 2 new 320gb harddrives. They are raided to mirror each other so I only have 320gb but at least I have some security now if one of them goes the same way my last 3 drives have. I now have 720gb in total on 3 drives (4 if you count the raid as 2).
I then had a very long night of copying my photos from the old dodgy drive to the new drives. I couldn't leave copying and walk away because it kept crashing so I had to stick around to reboot and try again. Eventually I got all the photos over except for a couple that caused constant crashes so I just deleted them. I probably lost a few others to the corrupt drive but at least things should be safe now. Huge relief!
Now we'll try the old drive in Grahams PC just to see if we can scan and format it, then it can go back for a warranty repair.
I still have to rearrange some files and set up another partition so there's lots to get done while Alex sleeps. I also have heaps of photos to go through from yesterday which will take a while.
Yesterday was a good day, except for starting out knowing I had computer problems and had to spend money to fix it.
Mom and Dad came over in the morning and took Alex for the day. A trial run for next weekend when they will get him overnight.
So Graham and I got to go to the computer markets without a pram! So much easier to get around and it was nice to be able to hold hands again instead of pram handles :) We bought the 2 harddrives, a new 2gb compact flash card to replace my 4gb microdrive which died and a card reader for Graham. Graham even bought me lunch (bacon and egg sandwich).
Then we went off to a local festival to try and take some photos for camera club photojournalism subject. It was really windy. The news reports say the wind got up to 107km/h. So the fete was mostly over. The stands and tents were blowing away so they packed up early and there was so much dirt blowing around it wasn't a nice place to be (especially with a camera). We did get some photos though, mainly of the show rides that were still going. I tried some photos of the tents blowing over but in the photos it just looks like they were in the process of being packed up. It's kinda hard to photograph wind.
So we headed off to Mom and Dad's to fetch the boy and on the way we saw smoke and a firetruck so we decided to go fire hunting. We got close enough that there were flames on the side of the road but the roads were blocked off where we wanted to go and there was so much smoke I couldn't get the photos I had envisaged. I took some but I don't think they will be good enough for photojournalism. Funny thing was there was plenty happening around us but each time I had the camera in my lap but was so caught up in what was happening that I forgot to take a photo. Like when a fire truck with lights and siren was trying to get through an intersection and a woman had stopped her car across 2 lanes blocking them off, and when the back window (frame and all) blew out of a car in front of us and landed on the road, and there were bits of trees flying around everywhere. I missed it all! Was really quite a dramatic drive though with roads cut off by fire when we went the back way and traffic lights out the front way.
Anyway we made it to Moms and Alex had a great day there. They lost power for a while so had to be a bit creative with heating his food and they'd been a bit creative with his nappy too (it was not done up). Alex had been on his best behavior, he even had a nap for them. He was tired when we got there but he kept going, showed us what he had been up to in the garden, then he had a bath and dinner before we came home. I of course took photos of him the whole time :)
We got home and Graham hooked my new drives up in time for me to make Sunday night chat with the Austprem group http://www.austprem.org.au/ It's only the second time I've made it into chat and I really enjoyed it. I chatted while my new drives formatted then left before I started copying files. I was lucky things were stable until I accessed the old drive.
Alex went to bed as soon as we got home and slept through beautifully.
I downloaded the photos from both cameras to the new drive today and I've got just over 500 photos to go through. Hopefully some of them will be good enough for the 'photojournalism' comp. Most of them are of Alex though :) There should be some funny ones cause Mom gave him a chocolate biccy.
Here's a few that I have converted but I wont get a chance to look at the rest until later tonight.
Dad took some photos of me with Alex. Dad takes great photos (so does my camera). I wish I'd had some make up on and red and pink clothing does nothing nice for my skin (Alex always looks good even with dirty face) but still it's really nice to have some more photos of us together.

I finally got a photo that shows some family resemblance on my side. It looks like Alex gets his funny wobbly walk from my Mom :P She'll hate this photo of course but I think it's funny.

No comments: