Saturday, October 07, 2006

Back up and catching up

Well now my computer is all up and running and stable (touch wood) I have a lot to catch up on here. There has been so much happening lately.
I'm going to work backwards but I suppose that will make sense cause the newer posts will have the older info and be up the top. That sounds confusing. Is it confusing or is it just the vodka and lime Graham made me having a effect. Graham hasn't learned yet that more is not better. There's a reason why there has to be a precise balance of vodka to lime and doubling or tripling both spoils the balance. Logically you'd think it wouldn't but it does. With a small perfectly balanced vodka and lime you drink it with a straw and don't stir and you get the two flavours working together and contrasting each other just perfectly. When Graham makes a glass full the ingredients mix too much and the whole layering with contrast effect is lost and as it's a big glass, and doesn't taste as good, it takes longer to drink and gets worse with time.
Hmmm well I'm not getting much catching up done talking about vodka (just don't get me started on coffee).
OK today...
Alex woke early. Don't know if it is the earlier sunrise or the neighbours dog waking him these days but I'm not enjoying it. In theory it would be better for him to wake earlier because it gives me a longer day to get more meals into him. In practice it just doesn't work. When he is woken up by something too early he wont eat, gets cranky and ends up back in bed an hour later and then sleeps past his usual breakfast time which puts all his meals behind.
So this morning he woke early, had half his breakfast, got cranky and went back to bed until midday. I did the washing and tried to put the crockpot on to make some lamb shank soup for Alex. When I opened the pack of meat and turned it over it was all green underneath and smelled odd. We bought it Thursday night and the use by was the 10th and it had been kept in the fridge so it shouldn't have been green. So no soup.
Alex woke up a 3 hours later, he had some food, a bath, threw up all over his clean clothes and we went out. We went to see our wonderful local accountant. My tax returns are all done, 4 of them plus a nil return for last yet. So I signed everything I had to and now we wait. He thinks I'll be getting money back. Either way I'm just so glad it's finally done.
Grahams tax returns are nearly finished too, he just wants to hunt for a few more receipts first, he knows he has them but doesn't know where. He should be getting money back too, especially for last year with me not working. The accountant also set me up with my very own ABN number! I don't know what I'll use it for, but it's the first step to becoming a pro photographer if I get organised (brave) enough to form my own business. It's good to know though that we've found an accountant who will be able to handle everything if I ever do go the business route.
Alex was very active and somewhat cranky while we were there, he was tired again, so we come home and he went to bed.
Then we called Paul the plumber. We've had water leaking across the bottom of the drive since Thursday and figured it was grey water from the shower because it only happened after a shower. It didn't happen with the washing machine or dishwasher so most of the time it was dry but today after Alex's bath the water trickle turned into a pile of sewerage. We had a toilet papiermache lawn.
So it was time to get the plumber out. Paul is local and always happy to stop in on his way home so he came over a few hours later. Just enough time for Graham to mow the front lawn (minus the paper patch).
Paul had a look and ran an eel down for 10-15m before hitting an obstacle hard enough to brake his blades. Not his problem though because 10-15ms put it well and truly beyond our boundary and made it a Sydney water problem.
So we called Sydney water, Alex woke up, I tried to feed him while Graham went and fetched Thai for dinner and Sydney Water arrived just as Graham got home. We ate our dinner while they played with eels from further down the street until they decided it wasn't their problem. They reckon they ran their eel up past our property and didn't hit anything so any obstruction has to be on our property and is our responsibility. Makes no sense at all considering the leak and the point where Paul inserted his eel is only about 6 feet from the road on our front corner so there's no way a blockage could be on our block considering how far Paul's eel traveled. Something really fishy going on and it's not the smell from the sewerage. We didn't see what the Sydney Water team did but we did see Paul's work so we know how far he went. The thing is if it was a Sydney Water problem it means we get to claim back out plumbers fee from them. As it is now I wouldn't be surprised if the problem has been fixed but because they say they didn't find a blockage we can't claim anything from them and are out over $100 and a few beers for a problem we didn't cause.
Anyway only time will tell, first we get to see if everything is dry tomorrow and then if it stays that way.
Hmmm now what else did we do today. Oh yet the lamb shanks were exchanged for non green meat and some of Alex's boxes of sultanas that were recalled due to metal fragments were returned. I pinched something in my back which has been very painful and makes picking Alex up difficult. Hopefully it will settle while I sleep and be OK tomorrow.
Alex practiced walking in his new shoes again today but his first few steps resulted in a grazed knee. It takes him a few steps to remember to lift his toes and his trousers rode up as he fell so he landed on bare knees. He didn't notice but I felt bad for him. I must remember to get him to take his first steps on carpet when he has his shoes on. Once he gets going he has no problems. He is showing signs of being able to stand, without pulling himself up on something, soon. He stumbled down into a crouch on his hands and pushed himself back up this afternoon. He did the same twice yesterday. He only does it with his shoes on though, almost like the shoes make it easier to go back up than to fall all the way to his knees.
Tonight he had his PJs on and his new (second hand) Pooh slippers. He had a great time running around in them. They rattle with each step. He didn't even look at them so I don't know if he noticed but something got him excited, he was having a great time.
Here's some photos of my funky little man in his Pooh shoes!
Oh and something else, Alex went in my car today for the first time since last weekends trip in Grahams car, and for the first time in over a week we didn't have any tears getting in or out of the car. So it's not his car seat or cars that has scared him, it's something to do with the MU and we've even had tears with Mom and Dad's car. On Wednesday night he started sobbing before we even got within 2 feet of Grahams car. No problems with my Sera though. Nice to know he has good taste in cars :)
Phew I don't think I can type anymore tonight.
So tomorrow I'll update with more backwards news and photos and anything that happens tomorrow.

No comments: