Monday, October 16, 2006

Backyard makeover

Ok it's about time I covered the October long weekend before I get too far behind. This was the weekend of our garden make over.
Before we went away for our Anniversary on the Friday night we had a 6 cubic meter skip delivered. An early Christmas pressy from Graham's Mom and her partner, along with their services. While we were breakfasting at Loxley on Saturday they were at our place early, stripping out our back garden. We got home to a whole new, spacious yard with turf and it was almost finished.
Our back yard was very over grown so we had made the decision that it all could go, with the exception of the Grevilleas, the Camellia and my coffee plant. All the water thirsty tropicals could go and all the weeds of course. There was a deep garden bed all along the fence and in the back corner there were about 5 generations of different plants progressively planted out from the corner so a large part of the yard was lost to plants we couldn't even see.
I didn't think to take before shots before they started so I went back and searched the old camera files from a few years ago and found these. You can see how overgrown it was then and it just got worse.
These photos were actually of the jungle cats.




On Sunday the in-laws came back to finish the job and my parents came over too. We had to order another skip and we filled Dad's ute too.
Here's some photos of the work in progress and the workers. Oh and Alex too. He was very helpful and really enjoyed playing in the dirt. He had to wear his baby legs (the leg warmer things) to protect his legs. He had a ball walking, running and stumbling around. He even wore holes in his shoes! He wasn't too sure about his Grumpa's ute though.
Alex helping his Grumpa.

He's got the cutest baby legs!

Alex with Daddy.


Getting nice and dirty.


The second skip arrives.

Filling the skip.

Not sure about this ute thing!


The end result, the garden looks amazing. I can't believe how much space we have, particularly in the back corner. These are just some quickly stitched shots but you can see from the green line of turf just how far the old garden beds came in. Alex is going to love having all this space to play in. The turf is growing well and has had it's first mow and I have my new Grevillea in the corner which will hopefully grow up to give us a bit of cover. The old brick BBQ is gone too. We never used it because we have another BBQ.
These are from the end of day one with the BBQ still in place, one side of the big tree still to clear and a pile of turf still to lay in the back corner.


This is the end result day two.

Here's the team at the end of the day. All hot, tired and dirty. Even Alex.
That's my mother-in-law with the broom and my loving husband kicking a watering can at me.
and here's the tulips Graham gave me for our anniversary. I quickly grabbed a photo on one of my trips in and out of the house with Alex. Glad I did because by the end of the day they were all droopy.

2 comments:

jim_au said...

WOW, I am really shocked. That looks fantastic. Great work guys. I think graham deserves a new pair of shoes and some new t shirts. My old stuff is starting to look old, haha

Polished Peripherals said...

Does it look good enough to make you come back?
You can bring some more of your clothes with you.