Tuesday, October 24, 2006

In with the rejects

Well considering I started this blog as a bit of an incentive to practice my photography 'just for me', it's ended up looking a lot like a blog for Alex. Not surprising really, my world revolves around Alex and he is my favourite subject for photos.
So today I decided I wouldn't take any Alex photos.
Here's some photos of my desk. This is where I feel most at home and probably most in control :) This is where all my photos end up or start depending how you look at it. This is also where I get to indulge in my (hopefully) twice weekly chats on Austprem with other mothers of prem babies. I'm really enjoying chat and I'm annoyed it took me over a year to get it working.
So to start todays photos here's my refuge and my recipe for a good chat session.

Then I decided to stretch my creativity and revisit some old photos in the reject pile. You know those shots you take thinking they'll look great and either never have time to look at or they just don't live up to the image in your mind.
My reject pile is huge, mostly they're photos in the never had time to look at category, so I only touched on 2 folders today. I file my photos in folders by date. So these are from a folder in November last year and February this year. I had been through these photos before and processed the ones I thought best but as I was only viewing them by thumbnail when weeding out the best, I missed a lot of interesting shots.
Here's some photos from last years Bondi sculptures.

I love this one, in colour and in this warm toned black and white conversion. I pasted the eye in the colour shot from a photo of Alex. It doesn't look quite right, I think I need to work on it some more. The lighting and colour of the eye don't match the setting.

These are from a shoot I did of Alex for his first birthday. These were test shots when I was setting up the lighting so I haven't really looked at them before. They've got some hot spots and the colour isn't quite right but I like them. I can't believe how chubby he was (for a prem).
There you go, I start out deliberately not taking any photos of Alex today and still end up with photos of Alex.

No comments: