Saturday, September 01, 2007

Chocolatety good(grief)ness

Well today is Self Portrait Saturday at HSMS.
I didn't get a chance to take a self portrait until late this arvo when Alex went down for his nap. So as usual there wasn't a lot of light left. Graham was working on the cars and had the camera with him so I was able to run outside, find a spot of setting sun and balance the camera on the boot of his car for this shot. I got the camera strap in it by accident. I was using the strap under the lens to stop it sliding off the boot and I forgot how wide the 10-20mm is. The good thing with the wide lens is I don't have to be too accurate with my aim to get myself in the shot. I like the strap in the shot though, it says a lot about me which makes it even more a self portrait :)

Yesterday's word was 'chew'. Other than following the cat around with the camera, Alex was my best target. Now Alex isn't much of a chewer. He prefers to swallow his food whole so it all has to be kind of mushy. I did my best but here's a series of shots of Alex NOT chewing.

I had these ready yesterday but with our internet connection cut back I couldn't even get a blogger page to load to upload these. I waited until midnight for our connection to be restored but as with any service company, they are quick to cut off or charge for a service but take their time restoring it when they should. So 2am I gave up and went to bed. This morning things were finally working again but I have a lot to catch up on. Actually I'm having problems sending email now. Don't know yet if it's my PC or our connection. Typical, there's always something wrong when it comes to computers.
Alex learned to drink from a straw today! Finally! Not that we use straws around here and I don't give him any 'fast food' type drinks that come with straws, but sucking a straw seemed like a basic skill he should have. We have tried teaching him before but all he would do is chew the straw. Today I bought some flavoured milk in a cardboard popper. The sort you can't let a toddler hold 'cause if they squeeze it the drink will spray out of the straw. Perfect! I was able to squeeze the drink up the straw and eventually Alex got the idea that he could suck it up himself. I'll get him to practice this again tomorrow. This skill will be useful. Alex isn't very good at drinking from a cup yet but if he will drink from a straw we may be able to get him off bottles.
So he did really well at lunch time. He had almost a full chocolate milk, then some chicken and veg and pasta mashy mush, then chocolate custard and then a bottle of milk. Brilliant meal until he coughed and it all came back up, in 3 big liquid chocolate fountains. In the computer room no less! All over the carpet, me, my chair, a computer, an external hard drive (inside too), the desk and Grahams tool box. Alex was clean except for one sock and his bib. I was in the middle of typing a message to Jodi at the time so it took me a very long time to finish typing. The carpet doesn't look too bad but the room smells all sour cream chocolatety.
I think I'll save his next chocolate milk straw drink for when he is at his Grandparents tomorrow :)

No comments: