Saturday, September 08, 2007

Self Portrait Saturday - I tried

Ok today is Self Portrait Saturday at HSMS.
So I had this idea that I could use the self portrait Saturdays to track my weight loss and help me stick to the diet. I thought I'd do my weigh-in on Saturday mornings and photograph myself on the scales.
Stupid idea!
Besides the tricky angle and the bad lighting in the bathroom, there's the fact that the read out on our scales flashes when it's reached it's figure. So no matter how I tried to time it I always ended up shooting between flashes and getting a blank number. Add to that the fact that I couldn't take the shot without the weight of the camera (and flash) being recorded. The camera with 580ex is surprisingly heavy. Really was a silly idea. I suppose I could do it with a tripod, and a long exposure would get the numbers as they flashed, but it was a very unattractive look anyway. I forgot that my legs don't match and my foot is ugly.
I persisted anyway and tried a compact mirror over the readout instead, to get my face in the shot. Now that idea could work, with a bit more thought, but I really don't think I'll bother trying this again.
So here is my self portrait for Saturday and I'm sorry I wont do this again.
If I come up with something better later I post again but as it's a rainy miserable day I don't think I can be bothered. Maybe more coffee will help.

18 comments:

Diana said...

LOL Love this. I cannot believe you have 24gig per month! I would be happy with about 2 or 3!
Love Di

Ann Freeman (mafswife) said...

Wonderful idea for a self portrait - good luck with weightloss - am on the same road myself!

Deanne said...

hia
great idea about the weight loss photos, I'm trying to do a journal about mine.
Love your shot idea though, a good one for my journal me thinks - well when i reach target that is - lol x

All of my Todays said...

Great idea for a shot, pity it didn't work out. Love your talk pictures from yesterday. x

sharon said...

heheh..made me chuckle.

Sam said...

LOL I think it's a fabulous idea!! One of those "wish I'd thought of that" ideas!!

Hazel said...

It was a great idea - pity you couldn't get it just as you wanted. As for the battle of the scales, I know all about that - wouldn't yet want the camera to pick up on the reading!

Sue said...

Thats' really clever :)

And I think you should persevere even if you have to add the weight on separately.

Also, and I don't mean to sound patronising, but I actually never noticed your foot until I read your text then had to look again to see what you meant. I think others do the same.

Hope your day brightens up. Don't be sorry it was a fab idea :)

Sue

Bobs said...

Well done for putting so much thought into your SP! It doesn't matter that it didn't turn out how you wanted it to - it's still a fab shot!

Anne said...

Brilliant idea - why didn't I just do my feet? Good luck with the weightloss program - been struggling along that path for years!

Louise said...

I am hoping it will help me lose weight too... only lost 2lbs so far though...LOL!!!
Love the idea:)

Terrie Farrell said...

fingers crossed with your weight loss, sounds like there's a few of us in the same boat! Great idea fo the shot, and your story of it was very funny. X

Mary said...

Fab idea.....pity it didn't work out how you wanted.

Jolanda said...

Great idea!

Joy said...

I think it's a really clever idea - too bad it didn't work as you envisioned. :D

Anonymous said...

It's a great idea, but I can understand the difficulties!

Angela said...

Not weird at all! I think its a great idea, wonderful imagination :-)

Polished Peripherals said...

Thanks everyone!