Thursday, August 23, 2007

Hard drives, beautiful hard drives!

Things are getting back on track here.
I finally got my damaged hard drives replaced under warranty and now have one of them installed. Which means I am in the process of restoring everything from backups then I get to rearrange things and make new backups (after the other drive goes into the server). Meanwhile I have a huge backlog of photos to go through including a few hundred from Saturday's wedding. At least it will keep me offline a bit. We have almost reached our download limit for the month so have to be careful with web page access.
The wedding was lovely which is I guess exactly what you want for a wedding. The rain didn't start until the reception and I met some really nice people. I bought a new outfit for the occasion which was nice and summery so I was pretty cold most of the time :( and couldn't cuddle up to Graham to get warm. Though once the reception started the alcohol helped warm things up but I'm afraid I also got a bit talkative. These days it only a takes a few drinks and my focus and shutter speed become unreliable. I took a heap of photos but I wasn't the official photographer, (the grooms sister was) so I was very conscious of not getting in her way and not using any flash. So most of my shots had to be high ISO and slow shutter to work with the low light in the church and the reception. I got a lot of sneak shots, through the crowd and behind the scenes, and left all the posed shots for the photographer and the pushier guests :) I was impressed with how well the camera performed in low light with ISO 1600 and 3200. The photos will be fine as 6x4"s but there's too much noise in most for enlargements.
Makes me want an upgrade even more! Canon have finally announced the 40D but it will probably be a month before it's available. I've been waiting so long for this. It was like counting down to Christmas. There were so many rumours but everyone was pretty sure the new camera would be announced this month and it was, a few days ago :)
Alex has Gymbaroo tomorrow. We were going to the Wednesday group but we went to Friday's last week and he participated better. I think it's because all the kids on Fridays are his size. Wednesday group has some older children who are a lot bigger than Alex and he spends most of his time watching them and not paying attention to what he should be doing. So now we have changed to Fridays so tomorrow will be fun. He is really enjoying practicing his jumping and kicking and is counting everything he can. Though his counting usually starts with 2 and jumps to 4 or five. He can recognise 2 and A when 'reading' and often gets 4 and 5 correct too. I've found junk mail catalogs are best for this because everything is numbered and there's bound to be some nice large print on each page with an A in it. He also goes through the colours of things in the catalogs and points out which things are for Mama and which are for Dada, like shoes for Mama (I hate shoes) and belts for Dada.
Graham just got home with a speeding fine! I think I need a coffee so here's some photos:

Alex in his bedroom with the early morning light. I got him up, changed and dressed then put him back in his cot so I could take some photos with the nice light. I'm looking forward to the days getting longer and the light getting stronger.




We had a nice day recently so we played bubbles in the backyard. As you can see we don't get much sun in the yard. I was hoping for more now the neighbours trees are gone but it hasn't made any difference at this time of year.







Finally here's some photos from the wedding. Just my handsome husband (the best man) :) and one of the church. I have other photos I like but I don't have permission to put them online (yet).
The one on the phone was when they were looking for the bride. The horse and cart broke down and the minister wanted to know how long they would be. Of course the brides phone was turned off so Graham couldn't reach them.

No comments: