Thursday, August 02, 2007

Catch up photos

I've been having some computer troubles lately so I haven't been blogging. 2 of my 300gb hard drives developed problems at the same time. One has all my photos and the other has all my art. No idea why this happened. Both the same brand/size drives, bought at the same time. My other 2 drives are OK. I seem to go through 2 drives a year (actually I think this makes 4 for this year). Different drives, different computers even. We have no idea why (same with my email and bookmarks, I lose them several times a year). These drives are still under warranty (only 11 months old) so I expect to get them replaced but it's meant many days of work to recover as many files as possible and back up everything, and check and double check my remaining drives. All this while trying to keep access to a minimal to avoid things getting worse and I didn't want to work on any photos after the last backup in case I lost them. I have lost some files but I don't know which and wont know until I go looking for them.
I now have a new 520gb drive and I've copied everything from the dodgy drives to it so I can clear them off and remove them. It's all very well taking drives back under warranty but you still need somewhere to store whats left on them first. When we get the drives replaced one will go back in my PC and the other will go in our backup server.
All this means I have a huge backlog of photos! So now that I can access them without fear of losing them here's a heap of pics.

First here's my beautiful boy looking quiet (it's a trick, don't believe it for a minute).

Alex woke up one day with a rash on his face. I think it was from drooling in his sleep. I took a photo of it anyway so I'd have something to compare if I thought it got worse later. It took a few days to heal.

Alex is into stacking and grouping lately. Everywhere I look I find towers or little collections of things.

Here's Critchon hiding (from Alex) under the table, before he went home, and a cold Tilly all snuggled under her blanket.

We have a row of succulents/cactus down the driveway. This year they all burst into bloom, in the middle of winter! We got home one day and they were all in flower. The sun was really low with just the last rays coming in almost horizontal between the houses. Which meant it was pretty dark at the base of the plants but the sun was at just the right angle and height to hit the flower spikes which were just glowing! Of course I had to race inside for the camera and get these shots before the sun went. The birds love the orange flowers but wont stick around for a photo.







Alex has a new toy and a new door.
This is his remote control Bob and Scoop toy. He doesn't watch Bob the builder but he sure knows who he is when he sees him. He saw this toy in the shop and the display made all sorts of noises and he loved it. We had a real fight to get him to leave it. Same when he saw it next. The third time he saw it it was on special so I gave in. He carried it all around the store and then to the next shops too, playing music all the way. It's one of those toys that drives parents mad, there's no volume switch! It says 10 different things with music and there's 2 remote options, a forward and turn mode or a 'follow me' mode. So Alex can 'drive' it just fine and he loves it. It turns itself off if he leaves it for a while which is a pain because just when he has found something else to do, Bob says 'bye bye'. So Alex goes running back only to find it's powered off and Mama has to reset it for him.
I decorated Alex's door after I touched up some paint chips on the doors and door sills in the hall. I wanted to do something pretty but I can't get away with flowers with a boy so I went for stars. Alex likes stars. The 7 larger stars are wooden shapes stuck on the door, same as his name. The paint has a silver and gold metal finish over the colours and there's glitter paint over all of it so it catches the light and twinkles like a star. Alex likes to point out the stars to me.

The camellia has been full of flowers this winter. It's first winter without being over shadowed by the old hedge we had.

The frost caught my coffee plant though! The beans are still there but no signs of ripening yet.

Hows this for ambitious?
A weed growing out the side of the tree.

Alex has a new hat that his Grandparents brought back from Sweden.
Naturally he had to wear it to mow the lawn.

He loves his Swedish hat!

He likes his Crocs too but it's a bit of a worry when he takes them off, sniffs them and says flower.

Such a stylish child! He matches his shoes and socks to his hat and his shirt to his mower.

It was Graham's birthday so we went to his Mom's for cake. For some reason birthdays in his family mean wearing a silly hat. I think it looks like it has prawn tails on top.


Alex rolling around on the floor. Nope it's not a tantrum, it's fun!

Last week one of the neighbours had some big trees cut down and shredded. It was very noisy and they started right when I put Alex down for his nap so there was no way he was going to sleep. We spent the rest of the day outside sort of watching. We couldn't see much over the fence and it was too dangerous the other side so Alex had to settle for me lifting him up to see and watching the crane from the garden. They had a huge crane lifting parts of the trees as they were cut and the street was blocked off by a few trucks and big shredding truck in the middle of the road. They lifted the trees with the crane to the middle of the road and then used chains to make them hover horizontally and feed into the shredder. There was fine tree dust flying everywhere and coating everything including the camera. Alex really wasn't at all sure about the noise. Every time they started fresh shredding he got all worried and clung to me but he was still interested enough to want me to pick him up so he could see again. If it wasn't for the bits flying around I would have let him stand on a chair to watch but it wasn't safe when the shredder was on.

This is our tree, in the background you can see one of the neighbours trees which didn't get chopped down. The ones that went were the same as the background tree, smaller than our tree.

Alex says the tree is 'all gone'.



Alex watering the fallen flowers. He was supposed to be watering the seedlings in the pot but I guess the dying flowers looked like they needed it more. He also pulled frost bitten leaves off my coffee bush.

Graham took this because he was impressed by the amount Alex had on his spoon.

Bath time is always so much fun. Alex loves pouring water over his head and I find it's good practice photographing in the bathroom with all the white reflective surfaces.





Check out that belly! It's all up high because it's a full tummy not fat. It's pretty easy to see when Alex has eaten well.

No comments: