Friday, May 25, 2007

All's well

Well it's 10:30pm and Alex is in bed and has been for an hour now. So far so good.
Last night he went to sleep and woke up about 20 minutes later screaming and ended up staying up till late again.
Today he has been very teary and even clingy, wanting to be picked up and cuddled a lot. He refused a day time nap. I tried twice and each time he screamed and threatened to throw up again. Hopefully he will stay asleep now.
The good thing, which I only realised this afternoon as I was getting food for him, is that since this whole screaming thing started he has been eating so much better than normal. I don't know which problem is worse but it is nice not to worry about him eating. He will chew on just about anything I hand him (and anything I don't).
I think he must be going through some sort of growth spurt and maybe he is having 'growing pains' which are effecting his sleep. I know it sounds weird but I have read about it and you know how it is, if you have an ache it always feels worse in the night.
Today he has eaten the required (by me) 3 meals with snacks.
He has had:

1 wheetbix dry and then with milk
1 tin chocolate custard (it worked)
1 bowl mashed veg
3!!! eggs scrambled
ice cream
3 cheese biscuits
2 ham slices
a corner of toast
2 hot chips
1 piece cooked carrot
3 bottles and 1 cup of milk
water
some tissue and newspaper (not as bad as the crunchy kitty litter he found the other day)

hmmm doesn't look that impressive in writing but I was impressed.
He would probably have had more tonight but until he is over this whole screaming till he is sick thing we don't want to give him too much before bed.
The words he is coming up with now are really impressive (I don't mean the swearing). Not sure if anyone else would understand him but I do.
If I let him hold my bottle of lavender spray (been using it to help calm the room down before bed) during a nappy change he will sniff it and say flower. Yesterday I pulled out an old soft toy lamb and tried to teach him to say 'Baa Baa' and today he was not only saying it but did a few 'ni ni baa' and 'baa jum' (jump). He also grouped his magnetic letters by colour today and he definitely knows which are blue though some times he think the greens are blue too (they are really similar and I have the same problem). It is so exciting to see the way he is linking words and actions and copying things he sees. Tonight he picked up two of his little food bowls and put one on each ear as stereo phones because yesterday he was playing pretend phone with something that broke in half so I put one on each ear and said stereo. He remembers all these things. We have to be so careful what we say and whats on TV too. He really likes the TV and demands it on but even when it's a 'safe' show there can still be an ad which just isn't something I want him to see. We've seen him copy an ad before. I can't risk watching the news when he is around and some of the kids shows have scary monsters too. Playschool and teletubbies are nice and safe and he likes those.

Here's a photo of my little girl Tilly.
She curls up so small when she is cold.
Critchon was on the back of this chair this morning and Tilly was lying on his back. They looked so cute (and funny) but as soon as I fetched the camera Critchon ran off and Tilly had to curl up on her own.

No comments: