Thursday, May 24, 2007

Again again

Well so much for peace and quiet.
Last night was back to the old screaming/chucking 2yo.
Alex went down well last night, straight to sleep with no problems.
He had dinner early, played, went quiet and I put him to bed without Graham about 8pm. Same bed time routine as a day time nap which always works for me.
Ten minutes later as Graham and I were congratulating ourselves on a problem solved, he woke up screaming. So we got him up before he threw up, changed him and sat him in his highchair while we proceeded to act as boring as we could. The idea being to show him that there was nothing worth getting up for, no entertainment or attention.
Well he went hyper. I have seriously never seen him so active before and he is normally very active. It was like watching a video on fast forward, except we weren't watching, well we were out the corners of our eyes but we didn't want him to see he was getting our attention.
He stayed in his highchair (surprisingly) but he had his harness on and off over and over, he stood in the chair and sat again over and over, and he had various arms and legs in and out of the harness. The whole time he was yelling at the top of his voice, not angry or upset just telling the world about everything he saw.
It was quite an experience. If I didn't know better I would think he had red cordial, coffee and a V for dinner. If he does it again I'm going to video tape him.
After a while we gave up on the ignoring him plan and tried to get him to calm down. Didn't make an difference. After half an hour I'd had enough and decided he was going back to bed. We did the whole bed time routine again and Graham and I went and hid in the kitchen (furthest we could get) and gave him 5 minutes to settle (stop screaming).
Well that resulted in him throwing up, a washing machine full of bedding again and the wettest bathroom we've ever had. We put Alex straight in the bath and he was so hyper he splashed the whole room, floor, walls, door, mirror, toilet, even the toilet paper. It's not as if we made the bath fun, he had no toys and we kept it all as calm and boring as we could but he had a great time splashing.
Then he got to sit in his high chair, had a bottle and finally went back to bed about 11:30pm.
Tonight Alex is still up, riding his bike around making car noises. He keeps riding down the hall to me and standing on his bike for me to give him a kiss before he rides off again. Over and over!
I'm dreading putting him to bed. I'm going to try some quiet time soon (for him) and see how it goes. It's all getting too much. I don't think I've slept before 5am for the last 3 days, if it's not Alex then it's the cats crying up and down the hall, Graham snoring and last night the fire alarm in the kitchen was beeping low battery.
Today Alex has been OK, just a few little tantrums like when he drops his Dipsy doll or can't reach the cat through the cat flap.
He has been very accident prone. 10 minutes ago he tripped over Graham while chasing the cat (Alex was chasing, not Graham) and hit his head on the coffee table. Earlier today he hit his cheek, impressive instant bruise there, and yesterday he fell off his bike twice. The first time he wasn't actually on it, he was standing next to it holding the handle bars and he went to get on but some how somersaulted forward over the handle bars and landed on his back in front of the bike. The bike didn't move. I saw him do it but still can't work out how. One of those moves you have to see to believe. How can he go from a standing point to do that? Would make more sense if he had been running or the bike had slid out from under him but it didn't.
Then last night he slipped sideways off his bike whilst stationary, sitting on it in front of the TV. He caught the side of his neck on the handle bars. Another bruise.
If anyone says he takes after me I would like to point out that I may walk into things but I don't trip or fall over things. Mind you I also don't climb anything.
Here's the latest war wounds from my little warrior. The stuff on his mouth is spaghetti sauce, he'd just finished eating.
He has shown no signs of them hurting. I have to check his whole body each night to see if he has hurt himself because he wont complain if he does. He has some shocking bruises on his legs still from last week when he fell over and landed on one of his toys, a blue tray that holds his peekablocks.

Some recent scrapbooking.

No comments: