Friday, April 20, 2007

He shoots he scores!

I'm going to show you some of Graham's photos. Just because Jodi asked about Graham's photography :)
Graham isn't into photography to the extent I am. He is more attracted to the ummm mechanical or technical side of things I guess. He likes hunting for deals on old lens and researching their specifications.
He's style is more snap shotty, he calls it freestyle :) I was going to say he shoots everything on auto setting but really he just shoots using what ever settings are on the camera from last time, then if he has time to think about it he might play with the shutter speed or something. He tends to put his subjects smack bang in the center of the frame without much thought to the rest of the photo eg backgrounds and sides. Whereas I have a habit of seeing the things around me as if they are already photos so I am constantly composing things as I look at them so when I take a shot I'm visualising the whole photo not just the main subject. So Graham's photos take a bit of work post processing to make them look 'finished', but as he usually just takes the shots and leaves it up to me to download them from the camera and edit them, he doesn't care about that :) I use the same techniques post processing his photos that I do for my own shots so I tend to make them look like mine which I guess is not a good thing as I'm overriding his style and imposing my own but if he wants it any other way he'll have to do his own post processing. He isn't the perfectionist that I am so that wont happen. Well he does do some of his own editing occasionally but uses some photoshop actions I made for him to simplify things. He has learned to zoom out a bit to leave a big extra room for me to crop his photos to improve the composition.
Graham does have a different eye and some interesting ideas which means he is a great help as a second shooter when I'm doing portraits. He often catches a shot I missed or one I would have never thought of. That's the great thing about having 2 digital SLRs and a range of lens. We can each grab a camera and shoot away.
He doesn't have a photography website or blog but when he takes shots of events like car shows he will share them on various forums or do a webpage to display them for while (until we need the space for something else).
On Easter Monday Graham went to his Moms without me (I had migraine the night before and was sleeping it off). He took Alex and the camera and took some photos. He forgot to tell me about the photos until last night when his Mom asked how they turned out so today I downloaded and edited them (that's the problem with so many memory cards). It looks like there wasn't much light left by the time he started shooting and there was a fair few blurry shots because of slow shutter speeds but there are some I liked and a couple I loved. Oh and he took some photos last night while waiting for me to go to bed.
So here are Graham's latest photos as edited by me :)

A light show on the bedroom ceiling, from my Laserpod taken while he was in bed waiting for me and some flowers down his Mom's drive way. I like the angle on this one. I think he was using the ground as a tripod :)


Alex looking out the window taken from outside. I love these. I love the way Alex looks chubby. I don't love the fact that Alex was in the house that smells of cigarette smoke though.
This is one of those shots I wouldn't have thought of. Mainly because I wouldn't have wanted Alex in the house, especially without me.


Some flowers. Nice warm, end of the day, type lighting and the shade house cloth has acted as a polariser to prevent the sky washing out.


Alex in the garden.


Chasing his Grandmother.

1 comment:

Jodi Devine said...

Hey Bec.... missed u today.... AND THANKS FOR SHARING GRAHAM'S PHOTOGRAPHY! It is interesting and I can see he has a different style (although may be somewhat similar in some of the shots) to yours! LOVE the photos of Alex, regardless of who takes them. Chubby???? He is gorgeous and looks great. Also love the shots you took today!

Jodi
xx