Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Oooops I did it again...

Thought it was about time I updated the blog with our new addition.

Benjamin John was born 11:19pm 3rd September, via emergency c-section, under general anaesthetic due to pre-eclampsia, just 5 weeks early at 35 weeks gestation, weighing 1840gms ( I think that's around 4 pounds).
His apgars were 9 & 9, a huge difference from Alex's 1 and 4!
Ben came out crying, needed no breathing assistance, not even oxygen. No drips this time either, just a feeding tube. He had jaundice but improved after just one night under lights. It was disappointing to have another general and miss out on the birth again but I had no choice, it was the safest option. It all happened so quickly. This time though the surgery was a much better experience, I wasn't under as long so I got to see Ben within the hour (just after midnight) and I got to hold him for the first time later that day. The midwife took photos of the surgery for us with my little point and shoot camera so while Graham and I missed out on the birth we at least have some photos of Ben's arrival. Graham then got to introduce my parents and Alex to Ben while I was still in recovery and announce his name. Unfortunately the name didn't suit him so we changed it to Benjamin a few days later :)
The pain was much worse this time though and recovery has taken a lot longer than I expected. To make things worse I got PUPPPS after he was born. It's something that usually happens during pregnancy but I couldn't even get that right. Thankfully that cleared up a few days ago.

It's been pretty chaotic here since Ben was born. A new baby is a lot more work than we expected. We thought it would be easy based on previous experience with Alex but we forgot Alex was 3 months old by the time he came home from the hospital and already had a routine. We are still settling into a routine with Ben. Feeds can take an hour, burping can take an hour and then half an hour later we have to do it all over again. Luckily Graham has time off still and has been doing so much to care for Ben! He is amazing! I couldn't cope without him. Ben is colicky so he just wants to be held all the time and if we put him down he chucks up. So there's a lot of washing and some nights he will just cry and fuss between feeds. Last night the only way we could get him to sleep was to leave the light on, unfortunately we didn't work that out until 5:30am so we didn't get much sleep before his next feed at 7:30am. Ben is in our room until we get the nursery ready and he makes a lot of noise even when he is asleep. He makes chicken noises! We can't wait to get him into his own room and sleeping through.

I'm expressing and bottle feeding breast milk. Ben was too small to breast feed without it tiring him too much so to help him save his energy and grow he gets a nice easy bottle. He is tongue tied too which makes breast feeding extra hard for him. All this means feeds are extra work and I feel like I'm just a milking machine just keeping ahead of Ben. It's working though. He came home weighing 1950gms and then only put on 5gms with a few days of breast feeding. Once we switched to the bottle he put on 160gms in a week and last week was up to 2300gms!

Alex is being really good with Ben, he wants to help with everything but we are being very cautious about Alex getting too close to Ben because of all the bugs Alex is exposed to at day care. Alex is going to day care on Fridays and often comes down with a cold on Sundays. The big news for Alex is that he is now toilet trained! He wears 'big boy undie pants' as he calls them. We've been making a big fuss over him, telling him how clever he is and how cool his underwear is, only problem is he has a habit of dropping his trousers to show people his undie pants if we mention them :) We've applied for 2 days a week for him at preschool next year. Still waiting to find out if we got them. Alex already knows all his numbers and letters, can spell some words (including Ben now) and can read the same words and can tell the time. So intellectually he is ready for school but he needs to learn to mix a bit more and speak up at school. He goes to day care and just does his own thing and doesn't seem to notice the other children.

Ben looks amazingly like my Dad. That's my Dad as he looks now (minus the beard) not my Dad as a baby. Apparently I looked like Dad as a baby too so I guess Ben takes after my side of the family. He certainly can match my brother for wind production :P
Ben has blue eyes and fuzzy ash blonde hair. He has my pink toned skin rather than Alex's golden tones.
I can't wait to get some decent photos of him, so far it's all just snap shots while everything else is going on but I have quite a few to scrap :)
Here's a pile of photos. I know Dad will say there's too many but I like lots of photos :) I do have some of the delivery that the midwife took for me but I don't think I should share the gory details here.

I promise I will catch up with everyone who's been waiting to hear from me. It's been hard finding time for anything lately between Ben, Alex and the breast pump. I am way behind on my emails and forums but will be making an effort to catch up with everyone soon. Last week I jumped online and started catching up then I copped a dose of mastitis that sent me to bed with fever and vomiting so I gave up on catching up again for a while. I didn't know mastitis could do that. I guess I can't complain about not getting the full experience this time but there are some experiences I can do without. I will NEVER do this again!

This photo was taken just before we left for the hospital. I didn't realise at the time that it would be my last pregnancy photo. We were just going to the hospital because I was feeling pretty bad and my BP was up. I hadn't had a pregnancy photo taken for a while so thought we'd grab some photos while I was dressed and upright :) This is my hurry up and take the shot I need to leave! photo. You can see how swollen I was, all over, I could barely open my eyes, that's from the pre-eclampsia. It is so good to have my eyes and cheekbones back now and to be able to bend my knees.

before-IMG_9126

3 hours later, here's Ben in his crib.

IMG_9141

My first photo with Ben. 24 hours after we checked into the labour ward I was moved to the maternity ward and we stopped at special care on the way for a cuddle. That balloon in the front of the photo is my swollen hand not an inflated rubber glove :P

IMG_9148IMG_9149

Graham's first cuddle the next day

IMG_9186IMG_9194

and me a few days after birth, sore and still swollen with a face full of broken capillaries and bruising from the anaesthetic mask.

IMG_9161

I had some beautiful flowers and a lavender plant to cheer me up.

IMG_9199IMG_9204IMG_9220IMG_9222IMG_9213IMG_9322IMG_9344

One bunch of flowers came in a box which was just Alex's size.

bdaywave1IMG_9283

Graham got cuddles again for Fathers Day. So did I :)

IMG_9226IMG_9230IMG_9245IMG_9236bwIMG_9249IMG_9271

Ben went quite a toxic shade of retro orange with jaundice and he had no energy for a while.

IMG_9297IMG_9305 IMG_9307IMG_9309

Ben came home after just over 2 weeks in hospital. He is too small for his car capsule, even with the preemie insert.

IMG_9345

Since he came home he has had a lot of cuddles from Daddy.

IMG_9350IMG_9353

Ben cries, drinks, has a nappy change, chucks up and has a clothes change and then snoozes on Daddy for a while before starting all over again.

IMG_9367IMG_9383IMG_9360IMG_9368IMG_9370

Here's all my boys :)

IMG_9374

Alex still asks about Mommy's tummy and this is what he did with his balloon.

IMG_9380

We are making special time for Alex each day when Ben is asleep so that Alex wont feel left out. So far there's no sign of any problems but special Alex time doesn't hurt :) Of course Alex time has to include the camera, especially now the weather is nicer and there's more light for photos (no the shots in red weren't all taken the same day, Alex just has 2 red jumpers and wears them a lot).

IMG_9386IMG_9389IMG_9467

Look how big Alex is getting! He has his Uncle Jim's wide shoulders.

Compare that photo to these of him a year ago. He looks all grown up now.

IMG_7679 IMG_7748

Ben's first bath at home was a success. Alex used to scream when we bathed him but Ben doesn't scream until we take him out. We do have a baby bath but he is  too small for it so the sink works better for now.

IMG_9408 IMG_9412 IMG_9416IMG_9419

Dad's been fixing up our 'playroom' above the garage for us. It's only 4'6" high and unfortunately there's no room to raise the ceiling or lower the floor to make it more usable but it's the right height for Alex to play and us as long as we are sitting. So Dad (and Graham) have strengthened the floor from underneath and are going to panel the walls. Dad's also moved the door in so we can have a full width set of stairs to make it safer to get into the room and we are going to carpet the floor. Then we will move our junk up there so Alex can have the back bedroom and Ben can have the nursery. We'll finally be able to move Alex's toys out of the lounge room into his bedroom and the new playroom.

IMG_9558IMG_9429IMG_9436IMG_9502IMG_9536IMG_9542

It's such a good sized space, it's a shame we can't stand up in there, it would make a great photo studio. The lighting is so nice.

IMG_9545IMG_9561


Graham has been going all fuzzy while he is at home.

Ben went to Mom and Dad's and had cuddles with his Nana.

IMG_9451IMG_9453IMG_9445

Another bath photo and all clean ready for bed. His 00000 size suits are fitting now :)

IMG_9505IMG_9519

Graham's been teaching Ben how to use the computer.

IMG_9486

and here's some pre birth photos of the boys I didn't get to put up earlier.

In the garden on a cold day

IMG_8849IMG_8868

and my little rock DJ

IMG_0379copyIMG_0376-copy

I haven't had time for any scrapping since Ben was born and I'm really missing my creative outlet. I hope to have some time to scrap soon. A few months ago I had a series of books make with my layouts of Alex. 6 books so far and I think I've got enough Alex layouts to do another book now.

IMG_8839IMG_8840IMG_8837

2 comments:

Jodi Devine said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! The update has been eagerly awaited! All the photos are just brilliant and Ben is just divine! Congratulations Alex on all the things you are doing - you are such a grown up big brother. Take care Bec and Graham! Love Jodi xxx

Kerri said...

Hi there,
I have been watching BTST for pics of your new baby, and just now spotted a link to your blog on Shana's!
Congratulations! And welcome Ben! He's adorable, you already have some great photos, can't wait to see how you scrap them. I really enjoyed reading that you are all doing fine.
Thanks, take care and enjoy
Hugs
Kerri