Friday, February 02, 2007

Chicken soup

A big happy 2nd birthday to Thomas. Thomas is another mighty miracle prem who was born just a week before Alex and just a week further in gestation. They are virtual twins. They have so many similarities except Tom is a champion climber and Alex hasn't discovered everything he can climb on yet.

We're all sick! Well Alex is almost back to normal, just gets a bit hot and tired.
Graham and I are full of cold. Alex caught it from someone on Saturday, first showed symptoms on Monday then Graham and I both started with sore throats on Wednesday, so we must have caught it from Alex.
Last night was a very uncomfortable, sleepless night. I can't breath through my nose and breathing through my mouth hurts my broken tooth. Add to that the cold and flu tablets which I forgot, until too late, give me insomnia, and Graham was snoring all night because he can't breath through his nose. So today was pretty bad. We couldn't go to playgroup and it was the first of the year at a new playgroup. Alex didn't mind though, he is still not quite right so he had a quiet day, was pretty sleepy and got all grumpy when he wanted a nap. This afternoon we went up to the shops for a few things and when we got back he went to bed and slept so long we had to wake him up for dinner. Then he ate, had a drink and went straight back to bed. He has been drinking a lot, he drank from his water bottle pretty much continuously while we shopped.

I recently moved the bookcase in the computer room. I managed to rearrange things to give me a bit more room on the shelves but I had 3 big folders which were taking up a lot of space. They were 'photo albums' from the days when I couldn't afford photo albums. I had photos glued to the back of old school papers and held in ring binders. Very shabby. So I decided to buy a photo album to hold the lot and throw out the old folders. I picked up an album while we were out today and tore all the photos out of the folders tonight and they are now all in the new album. There's no order or theme to them. They were just a collection of photos over the years. I still have a few boxes of photos to add to them but it was funny looking at these photos again. Kinda painful seeing how young and slim I was. I can't believe I always thought I was fat! I wish I could go back 20 years and knock some sense into myself (and suggest plucking my eyebrows). Oh and how about those 80's and 90's fashions! Scary stuff.

Here's some photos for your amusement.
Check out that gorgeous young thing in the middle. That's my Mom! This was 1987 so I was 18 and in my first year of uni. Got to love Moms fluro yellow socks with thongs! Actually they were my socks and that's my shirt she is wearing too. It's a single colour silk screen print I did of my year 12 school photo, or rather a section of the year photo. Even in this photo I can recognise the people in the print, that's my old friend Nik in the middle. I'm not sure why Dad took this photo. None of us are dressed for a photo and none of us seem happy to be posing for a photo so the best I can guess is he was using up a film. I can remember him taking this and I can remember having to wait for him to take it. He always took too long, now the photographer side of me understands.

Then there's this one from 1990. Taken before I went out to a friends 21st birthday party, just a few weeks after mine. It was a good party, I have some great memories from that night. The hair though is nothing but bad memories. I had my hair permed that day. It was supposed to be a light wave, instead I ended up with tiny tight curls. There was nothing I could do to fix it before the party. I bought a hair band on the way home from the hairdressers to try and tame it and that was it. It was a shocker!

This one was labeled 1983? but looking at the hair it could have been 1985 so I was either 14 or 16. Even then I was showing an need to hide behind a camera :)

Here's a couple that wouldn't fit in the album.
This is my 1st grade class photo, 1975. The year after my brother was born. It needs some repair work done and then I'll reprint it. I'm the one on the front row in the white jumper holding the sign. I was in the front row for most of my class photos and for a few years running I was left holding the sign.
It's funny I remember the names of these kids better than the people in my high school photos. Some of these faces didn't change much. A fair number of these kids went through to the same high school and the really funny thing is one of the boys in this photo became a really good friend at high school. We weren't friends in primary school and he left for another school but we ended up in the same high school and in the same little group of friends from yr 8 onwards. He is the little boy on the right hand end of the row, second from the back. He got taller by the end of high school but I still called him Pixie :)

and here's my graduating high school photo, the whole of yr 12, 1986. It would have been our 20 year reunion last year, if we'd had one.
I'm 3rd from the right on the front row. Yes my friends were boys, we were the nerds who played D&D :) That's Pixie 5th from the right on the front row.

OK that's enough reminiscing. All I'm doing is putting off going to bed because I know my cold will get worse when I lie down!

No comments: