Saturday, December 01, 2007

huge update

Wooohooo, it's a new month and things are off to a great start!
We have our internet bandwidth back so I can finally blog again (and do emails and eshopping etc) and we have water again so we can flush the toilet and wash etc. We still don't have any hot water but at least we have water. A few cold showers wont hurt us and Alex is staying at Mom
and Dad's so he can have a warm bath. Hopefully we'll have hot water again by the end of the week.
Such a relief to have water again. I thought we could manage because we are used to being careful with water but you don't realise how often you need water.
At the moment everything around here looks half finished. The deck is done but I have to do another coat of deck oil and do the top step and rail. I ran out of oil doing the first coat and now it's raining so I can't finish the deck until it's dry and clean. The rain has left pools of water and dirt on the edges but the oil is doing the job and keeping it from soaking into the deck. It looks really yellow though. It's supposed to be a natural, uncoloured finish. Hopefully the yellow will
fade.
Here's the water pooling on the deck

and the colour of the sealed deck

and here's the colour difference between the sealed bottom level and the unfinished top step.

I want to get started on the garden but that can wait until the rain stops.
We did the washing at Mom's last night but can't hang it out so I have wet washing sitting around waiting for the rain to stop too.
It was funny not having any water while there was so much coming down outside. Graham used a bucket to collect water from the neighbours gutters because they have a missing down pipe, and we used that water to clean up the laundry where the leaky hot water tank had left a smelly mess.

Now we have plans to paint and rearrange the laundry once the water tank is out. It should look bigger, cleaner and a lot neater.
We still have a trench all down the side of the house that needs filling, just waiting on the road base for that.
So much to do!
Here's Alex sweeping the deck while the digger digs a trench. This trench is filled now, it's the one on the other side of the house that isn't.


Right now Graham is in the laundry 'removing' the cupboard from around the water heater. It should make it easier to get the water tank out and the cupboard itself is so horrible (badly made, shabby and smelly now) that I just want it gone. However the idea of Graham dismantling anything stresses me so I'm doing my best just to keep out of the way and pretend it's not happening (typing nice and loudly). I'm sure he can't do too much damage (repeat repeat!).
So what's the story with the water heater you ask? Well it's a 1996 model, well past it's warranty and ready to burst. Thursday night I went into the laundry to get Alex's PJs from the clean washing pile and I stepped into water! Bit of a shock and then I noticed the strange hissing water noise coming from the water heater. So Graham turned the hot water heater off at the fuse box and tried to turn off the water inlet to the tank, but couldn't so he had to turn the water off at the mains. The water was seeping out of the bottom of the tank but only when it was filling at the same time (ie under pressure) so once the mains were off the leak slowed right down. When I pulled the release on the tank the water that came out was just rust coloured mud. We've never been in one house long enough before to experience the death of a water heater so we weren't prepared for this. Never even occurred to use that it could happen. Luckily I had sealed the deck that day and this happened about 15mins before 'touch dry time' otherwise it would have made things just a little more difficult, especially considering that the only way to get to the fuse box without crossing the deck would have meant climbing the muddy trench on the other side of the house, in the dark. I was still not happy about the idea of any dirt or water getting on my nice pristine deck! Just shows, 'pride comes before a fall'. I was so proud of the job I had done on the deck Thursday and I was waiting till 'touch dry time' so I could take Graham out for a walk on the deck to show off. Then the water heater had to go and take the wind right out of my sails. Good thing the deck has at least one coat on it though or it would be staining badly now.
Friday was a busy day with both of us on the phone trying to find someone to install and supply a new water heater for a reasonable price. We have a long list of plumbers who haven't returned our calls, many which advertise a 24hr, 7 day a week emergency service.
Because our water heater is inside, in a cupboard (not a good idea when it leaks) it meant that our chances of finding something the the right dimensions to fit were very slim. Also with our recent electricity bills we weren't too keen on a small, quick recovery, electric tank. We don't have gas (unless you count Graham after a pizza night) and with the deck all down the side of the house, there was nowhere suitable for an outdoor tank without cutting a hole in our deck. So the best idea we had was a solar water heater on the roof (close coupled). The tank is out of the way, it can be positioned right over where we need the water to go and our roof has the right NE-NW aspect with about a 25 degree pitch. Add to that we should get cheaper power bills and with the current government rebates for solar it works out only just a bit more than an electric tank of half the size.
Problem was most plumbers just aren't interested once you start talking solar. One of them told us it's because all the rebates make it too confusing for them.
Anyway we have ordered a Rheem Hiline 300L solar hot water heater and Graham found a plumber who said he could install it for a reasonable price (he hasn't returned our call yet about actually booking a time for install). So we should have the tank delivered midweek and hopefully can get hold of the plumber to install it the same day or soon after.
Today we got another plumber to come and cap off the water to the old heater so we could at least turn the mains back on. I celebrated by flushing the toilet! We took Alex to Mom's last night and we thought we could manage until the new heater arrives. We were turning the mains on a few times a day just to fill the toilet cistern and bottles and jugs to keep us going but even in just a few mins with the water on, the laundry floor was becoming a puddle again so we gave up and decided the call out and emergency rates for a plumber were worth it if we could at least get the water back on.
The smell in the laundry was getting really bad. The water was sitting along the wall behind the sink and washing machine. All cleaned out now and once the cupboard is out it should be even better (Graham is still banging away in the laundry). It's surprisingly difficult to clean up smelly, muddy water without clean water, hence Graham collecting water from the neighbours gutters for mopping.
It is so good to have water again. Don't ever take it for granted. Now we are just looking forward to having hot water again. Pretty soon anyone near us will be looking forward to us having hot water again too :P
What else has been happening? Well Dad finished the deck! I just have to finish sealing it and then we'll get a door in from the dinning room out to the deck. It makes such a difference just being able to walk out onto the deck. It all feels so much nicer outside now, cleaner, roomier and more relaxed. Alex loves it and I can sit there and watch him play. I bought Graham his Christmas pressy already, a new BBQ. Once I've finished sealing we can set up the BBQ on the deck but eventually it will go down in the BBQ pit once we get the road base down. That way any drips or splashes from the BBQ wont damage my deck and we can stand around the rail and watch Graham cook :P We also got a new outdoor table and chairs set for on the deck. Not assembled yet but will be soon. I had to get Dad to run me around with the ute on Monday to pick all this up but at least we got it all in one day and saved on delivery costs. I can't wait to take photos of the BBQ and furniture all set up and Graham and I keep coming up with new guest lists for future BBQs. So far I think we have 4 different BBQs planned for various groups of friends and family. Don't know when we'll be ready but I think Mom and Dad will have to be our first guests after all the work they have put into this deck.
Deckman himself!

and the finished deck.


We went over our internet limit the beginning of November (about the time of my last blog) so we've been struggling along at less than dial up speeds for weeks now. Most of the time I haven't even been able to download my email without it timing out. It made online research for building supplies/plumbers etc difficult and at night when we both wanted to check our email we would have to take turns trying to get access. Very glad to have our connection speed back today and I'm going to have to keep an eye out for things like Photoshop upgrades downloading in the background and using up our download limit (that's what took us over).
Alex is doing well and has loved all the extra Grandparent time this month with Mom and Dad over so often for deck work. He also got to spend a few nights there when we had the flu, to get away from our germs plus it's hard to look after an active little boy when your feeling so sick. Toilet training is happing sporadically and he is going great guns with his numbers and letters.
I cut his hair and he looked instantly bigger without the curls. Now people keep commenting on how big he is. It's so funny, people will say 'what a big boy' as a casual comment while we are out somewhere and they have no idea just how happy that makes me. He really has come such a long way and has caught up so well. On Tuesday he finally has his appointment with the plastic surgeon to look at his hand. Fingers crossed he will tell us he doesn't need to do anything and send us away again. After waiting since June for this appointment I'm not at all worried about it anymore. Might be a different story if the Dr starts talking surgery and anesthetics but Alex is bigger and stronger now and I'm sure we will cope just fine.
Where's Mama?

There she is !

New haircut!

Last weekend I was supposed to help deliver Austprem cooler bags to the hospital NICU to help promote/celebrate National Premature Birth Awareness Week. I was looking forward to visiting some of Alex's old nurses and checking out the new NICU department, not to mention catching up with another Austprem member, but with the flu there was no way I could risk going near anyone with a baby. So instead I went and had a blood test :) Nothing to do with the flu, just my regular test. Got the results Tuesday and I am STILL in remission from Graves Disease. Thats 18 months of normal results now. The Dr did make a point of reminding me that it can still come back anytime. I know that, because this is the second time I've been in remission but still I feel really pleased and I know what to look out for and I'm sure I can beat it again if I have to, over and over even. Next check up now isn't for another 6 months! Wooohooo!
I guess things are looking pretty good around here. It's been an expensive month with all the work we are doing and there is still a lot I want to get done but it is so nice to be getting things sorted around the house.
Tilly is loving her indoor/outdoor cat status and eating lots of grass. Her points have got so dark from the sun and she has freckles! We haven't lost her yet but she did get locked under the house once.
Tilly the great grey grass hunter


Oh almost forgot. Photo wise, not a lot happening really, haven't had a lot of time. My main lens is still in for repair, for the second time. It went off 29th Sept, came back worse and went straight back. Now they say I'll be lucky to have it back for Christmas.
I'm loving my new camera and lens though. Everytime I download photos from the 40D I'm reminded how much I love it, and the 70-200mm L lens is beautiful. Took me a while to get used to it but now, it's a dream. I so want more L lenses.
We went to the camera club finals. I only made it to 3 shows all year so I wasn't in the running for the finals but I got a medal for scoring over 100 points. 100 points is the score needed to move from B grade up to A grade so it's considered quite an achievement. The thing is Graham and I can't work out how I made 100 points from just 3 shows. I know I did really well but unless places are worth more points than we though it wouldn't make 100 points. I was in B grade for my first show and then they moved me straight to A grade so maybe they gave me the medal as an award for that without worrying about the points. Strange but nice :) Hopefully next year I can get over there more often.
Here's some photos I took (from the deck, in the rain) today while waiting for the plumber to arrive.
The beans/cherries on my coffee plant.



Just had a parcel turn up on the doorstep. Gotta love these pre Christmas Saturday deliveries. It's a coffee mug from Homescan, the scanning service we do. One of those metal thermal mugs with a lid and detachable cup on the bottom. Not a bad little gift.
Hehehe it's going to take us a while to get over the novelty of having water again. I just heard Graham cheer after flushing the toilet :)
Graham has just finished in the laundry and it's getting late so I better upload some photos and find some dinner. I didn't bother defrosting any meat because without water it's hard to wash veg and cook and wash up, so now we have water and no food ready to cook.
Before with cupboard.

After, cupboard gone but a lot of fixing up to do.

No comments: